Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Stars, Traffic and Ants



It has been a while since I’ve posted.  I have been traveling and planting my garden mostly.  While traveling I was reflecting on how many people there are.  We were traveling through a city with numerous levels of interstates crisscrossing and lots and lots of rush hour traffic.  So many people, hurrying here and there all at once. 

I traveled for two days by car.  How many people did I pass by?  How many in their homes, offices, hotels, cars, trucks, bikes, RVs?   How many of them know God? 

Psalm 147:4 He counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them.

He counts the stars.
                                     He names them.
                                                                     He counts all of us, and names us.

 How many billions of people throughout all of history and to come?   I can’t count them.  I am overwhelmed by the sheer numbers on the interstate at rush hour. 

As I have been gardening, I have been watching ants as they make their way past my back door, to the hummingbird feeder to eat its nectar.   There are so many tiny ants that I can’t begin to count all of them.

                                    God knows each one of them.



Luke 12:6-7  Are not five sparrows sold for two cents?  Yet not one of them is forgotten before God.  Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

God knows the ants, sparrows and He know all of us down to how many hairs we have.
He knows our thoughts.
                                         He knows all about each of us.

  Even if we don’t know Him.

                                                      Even if we don’t want to know Him.

If He is so mighty that He knows all of this, how in my smallness can I even begin to  think I can tell Him how to do things?  Or that I know so much?  Or that I can rule my life alone?

Yet He says we are more valuable than the sparrows.  We have worth.  Down to every last hair on our head.  He is so worth getting to know, moment by moment.

  Take time to know Him today.
                                                            Let Him teach you about Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment